back to the top

Back to Top

26 July 2017

Charleston, SC Day Trip Guide

Hello friends!

I am seriously so excited about this post, because I LOVE Charleston.




I cannot even tell you the ecstatic feeling I get when we pull onto Meeting Street, and I first see the cobble stone streets & colorful houses.

My love for Charleston first began when I was around the age of 10 when my family took a day trip. I remember having no idea what to expect, but as we drove into Charleston, I was just amazed and in love already.

I think one of the things about Charleston that really struck a chord with me was the Southern charm that I absolutely love. If you want to get a taste of what it's like to live in the South, go to Charleston. You will NOT be disappointed. From the colorful houses, good food, amazing views, palm trees, historical buildings, huge oak trees, amazing people to the market downtown, the Southern hospitality, it is a winner every time. 

In this post, I will be sharing my experiences and things that I personally love to do! 

WHEN should I go to Charleston?
______________________________________________________________________________

I included this because if you are not from the South, you need to know that humidity is a killer. I would not recommend going to Charleston during the months of June, July & August (maybe even the beginning of September). It is just SO hot to the point where you feel like you are breathing through a wool blanket. 
I would instead plan a day trip during March-May & October-Novemeber. 
Plus, this isn't during the busy season when people are EVERYWHERE. 



WHERE should I go in Charleston?
______________________________________________________________________________

I feel like I  have a route that I follow every time I go to Charleston.
From where I live, I always come in to Charleston on Meeting Street. We normally follow Meeting Street all the way down to The Battery, where there is a beautiful park that is shaded by numerous old oak trees. Sometimes, we will stop and have a picnic lunch here (this is also perfect if you are looking to save money. You can eat a packed lunch and then stop somewhere nice for dinner). You can also walk on the sea wall and see the harbor as well as some of the old houses on the other side of the street.
The trees in Battery Park from the gazebo

My favorite house near the Battery


Next, we get back in the car and drive to a parking deck that we always go to, which I am pretty sure is the Cumberland Garage (normally there are plenty of parking spaces and it's near the Market and restaurants). 
From there, we always browse through the market, and go to the Waterfront Park where there is a beautiful view of the harbor and Cooper River Bridge, as well as swings to sit on. The swings are kind of a life saver after walking for a while. They are always so relaxing and it makes it even better when there is a nice breeze!
On King Street, you will find all the shopping your heart could ever dream - from H&M to Kate Spade, you're covered.

So here is a recap of things to do if you do not want to follow the route I always take:
The Battery
Rainbow Row
Waterfront Park
The Market
King Street shopping
Explore side streets



What should I wear?
______________________________________________________________________________

Well, it really depends on when you are going. If you are going during the summer months, prepare to wear shorts and a light breathable shirt. A dress or romper are also super cute. You will also want to wear some comfortable shoes, because you will be walking a lot!


This would be similar to my go-to outfit:

If you are going during the Fall, it'll probably start out kind of chilly, but by mid-afternoon, it'll be warm. I would recommend dressing in layers! That way you can take off a layer if it's too warm, or put on a layer if you get chilly. 



Where should I eat in Charleston?
______________________________________________________________________________

There are SO many good places to eat in Charleston. So many different varieties, too!
A few of my favorites include:

MEALS:
Jim N' Nicks (BBQ - King Street)
Sticky Fingers (Meeting Street)
T Bonz (North Market Street)

DESSERTS:
Haagen-Dazs (S. Market Street)
IT'SUGAR (N. Market Street)




FUN THINGS NEAR CHARLESTON
_________________________________________________________________________________

IOP (Isle of Palms) is an awesome beach that is over the bridge (when you go into Mount Pleasant) - probably a 40 minute drive from the center of downtown Charleston.

Mount Pleasant in and of itself is also a really pretty place to explore! They have some great shopping centers as well.

The Angel Oak Tree on John's Island is SO pretty. It is said to be around 400 years old, and it's huge! Definitely a must see and it's free! It is about a 30 minute drive to Charleston from there!

There is also the South Carolina Aquarium, and you can walk over the Cooper River Bridge.

The USS Yorktown is also open for tours.



I hope y'all find this day trip guide helpful! If you have been to Charleston, I'd love to hear  your favorite things that you do! 

xoxo


Instagram: @sydneyaphotography | Pinterest: @sammerck










No comments:

Post a Comment