back to the top

Back to Top

22 July 2017

Business Advice From a College Student to a College Student

Hey Friends! 
(especially my fellow college aged gals out there)


I have wanted to share this post for a long time, but I have almost been at a loss as to what to say and how to say it, because I almost feel inadequate. BUT I decided that even if I help ONE person, my goal will be accomplished. My advice is nothing special, but it's what I have found works really well for me personally (trust me, I am by NO means an expert). So, after much thought, I have narrowed down my four MOST essential tips to surviving college, while running a business.


______________________________________________________

First, let me give you a little background. 

I attend a smaller college in upstate South Carolina where I major in Piano Performance. During high school, I did dual credit classes at my local community college & I went into my Freshman year of college with 30 credit hours (so I was technically a Sophomore). I thought that since I had taken so many courses I would be able to at least graduate a semester early - WRONG.
Since I chose to be a music major, many of those credits did not help me (wonk wonk). But it worked out because I am now able to take classes that I actually want to take, since a lot of my general education classes are out of the way.
With that being said, the life of a music major is crazy busy. Don't believe me? On top of the 15+ credit hours I take a semester (which as a music major equals 8-9 classes per semester), I also have to practice piano 3-4 hours a day AND I teach piano on the weekdays, and I do photography, as well as  balancing homework and a social life (its kind of nonexistent, actually lol).
So my free time is VERY limited. Whatever free-time I do have, I try to spend it very wisely, which brings me to my first tip for college students who are trying to run a business...

No. ONE
USE YOUR TIME WISELY

Instead of going out with friends, taking that extra nap, or binge watching that Netflix show, my advice would be to get your work done first then play. I know, it sounds boring, but it'll be worth it in the end!
Time management is one of the biggest/most valuable things I think I have learned in my life (and I still don't have it completely down).
At the start of every school year, I invest in a really good planner where I write EVERYTHING down. I write my class schedule for that semester, when I am teaching piano, and all the extra things I do as well (photo sessions, etc.). So, when someone asks me if I can do something, I always have a go-to place to look at my schedule for the week to make sure I am 1) not forgetting something and 2) not over-scheduling. Trust me, it's a life-saver. You cannot do everything, so choose what's most important!
It is ok to say no every once in a while & sometimes you need to.

No. TWO
ASK FOR ADVICE

Sometimes it's so hard for people our age to ask for advice, because we want to be independent or figure things out on our own. While there is a time and place for that, having someone you trust to go to when you need advice or an outside view on things is truly invaluable. In my case, I go to my parents, boyfriend, or one of my really close friends.
And most importantly, I try to honor the Lord in every decision I make - big or small.
I know that they would be completely honest with me, even when it's not necessarily something I want to hear. My parents especially will make sure I am using my time wisely, making the best business decisions, helping me budget, and just encouraging me in general. Being teachable and approachable is something that will attract clients, and make you a better business owner & leader.
It's okay to ask for advice. It doesn't mean you are weak or any less independent.

No. THREE
BE CAREFUL WHO YOU LISTEN TO

I feel like this is almost a continuation of no. 2 in that you need to ask advice every once in a while from people you trust. BUT over the years (through different circumstances and friendships), I have learned that not everyone has your best interest in mind, and some people will say things that you should really just ignore, because the sad truth is they want to see you fail. If you know you are doing the right thing for you (and those who are closest to you fully support you), don't pay any attention to those who say negative things (and I am not talking about constructive criticism, which is good and should be considered). 
It is important to do what is right for YOU (not the crowd of naysayers). 

No. FOUR
FIND A MENTOR

This is so important in my opinion. I cannot tell you how much I have learned from my mentors especially in music business. Find a mentor that is in the specific field you are interested in or are currently in, and CLING to them. When I first started my piano teaching business, I cannot tell you how many times I would text my former piano teacher, or ask piano faculty at school questions on different things. Chances are, they have been in their field a long time and have so much valuable wisdom to offer. Don't be afraid to ask! Most of the time, they are super excited to share pieces of advice and experiences they have had. Plus, it takes a lot of the guessing game out of the picture.
With my piano business, my former teacher gave me SO much advice from the curriculum she used to how she took payments to teaching tips & a studio policy, etc. 
Mentors are definitely a secret weapon to running a successful business as a college student.


______________________________________________________


I hope those four pieces of advice have encouraged/motivated you to be the best you can be at whatever you are doing! It is hard to balance being a full-time student & running a business, but there is nothing more rewarding than doing something and doing it well. Like I said before, I am by no means an expert and I have so much to learn, but I just wanted to share what I have learned so far!

I'd love to hear from my fellow college gals/business women to hear what you do to be a successful student/business owner! You can leave me a comment, shoot me an email  (sydneyaphoto@gmail.com), or DM me on Instagram (@sydneyaphotography).

Hope y'all are having a great weekend!

Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment