back to the top

Back to Top

14 August 2017

Tips for Those Who Commute to College




When I decided to stay local for college, I immediately felt blessed because that meant no sharing a bathroom with a ton of other girls, no roommates, privacy, still sleeping in my queen size bed, etc.
I love living at home for college!
It is soooo nice for my introvert self to come home after a long day of school and just disconnect from people/the atmosphere. 
Best decision ever. Plus it saves a ton of money.

There are a couple of drawbacks though...
Food, parking, extra drive time, gas, what if you forget something?, etc.


Here are some things that I learned from being a commuter to college..

No. 1 // Take the time to pack a lunch
Not only does this save you money, it also saves you time! With a busy class schedule sometimes it can be difficult to run to the nearest food place on campus to eat. Plus, you can pack some healthy options to have!


No 2. // take the time to lay out your clothes and pack your book bag the night before.
This helped so much when I would be in a rush to get to class in the mornings because I knew I didn't have to worry about finding something to wear or making sure I had all my books and things packed. 
I could just get dressed and grab my book bag and be out the door.


No. 3 // Leave a 15 minute buffer to walk to class
I can't tell you how many times I have left in JUST enough time to get to class, but didn't leave enough walk time or take into consideration the train tracks I passed every day.... 
Just do yourself a favor and leave 15 minutes to walk to class.


No. 4 // Take advantage of your campuses resources 
Take advantage of the library, printers, computers, wifi... 
everything. You are paying for those things anyways so use them while you are on campus!



No. 5 // Take extra water bottles
This was such a life saver because I didn't have to pay for expensive water on campus, nor go out of my way just to find a vending machine with water.


No. 6 // Dress in layers during fall and spring
It was so annoying during the fall and spring to pick out an outfit to wear for the day because the temperature would change dramatically by the time I would be leaving school. 
It was just easier to dress in layers so I could take them off or put them on as needed.


No. 7 // carry an umbrella in your book bag
Yea, this probably seems like common sense, but especially here in South Carolina, the weather can change so quickly. 


No. 8 // Always make sure to lock your doors and put valuables out of sight
College campuses are the perfect place for thefts to happen.
Just be smart and lock your doors so it's not a temptation for people to break in to your car!


No. 9 // Carry pepper spray, ladies.
This is especially important if you have night classes and have to walk to your car by yourself. Also, program campus police in your phone and be ready to dial if need be!


_____________________________________


Hopefully, my fellow commuters will find this helpful! 

It's not always convenient but it's worth it - IMO. 



Sydney 



No comments:

Post a Comment